Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 3, 2017 9:29 AM

Jun 2007
DateYutaka said:

this is shin chan level of translation and you defend that redily enough

the way the op defends blatant mistraslation in this show is the way iv seen you and people of your persauion defend misstransation in bth video games and anime in the past
How can it be Shin-chan levels of translation when there aren't scenes cut or video edits, and the subtitled version is made available for anyone who doesn't care for the dub? None of that is true with Shin-chan.

Besides, any change from an absolute literal translation is apparently 4Kids/Shin-chan level degradation to you, so it's hard to take descriptions like "Shin-chan level of translation" seriously when everything gets that label.

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Sep 3, 2017 9:41 AM
Mar 2011
Zalis said:
DateYutaka said:

this is shin chan level of translation and you defend that redily enough

the way the op defends blatant mistraslation in this show is the way iv seen you and people of your persauion defend misstransation in bth video games and anime in the past
How can it be Shin-chan levels of translation when there aren't scenes cut or video edits, and the subtitled version is made available for anyone who doesn't care for the dub? None of that is true with Shin-chan.

Besides, any change from an absolute literal translation is apparently 4Kids/Shin-chan level degradation to you, so it's hard to take descriptions like "Shin-chan level of translation" seriously when everything gets that label.

look at fox japan''s siimppsm dub[ that is the bets dub of all time in any lanaguge

one syntax changes ot make it fit japanese barring that its traslated as it should be done not locallized

as you should no shin chan was aied subbed in some us states beofre the dub

yes this is 4 kids/shin chan level cuase of script changes thus it becomes an bad traslation job in this context im only talked about script changes

os yes this dub is on the level of aformmention anime and company
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 3, 2017 9:57 AM

May 2015
World_Creator said:
No dub is better than sub evaa

People who likes dub just can't read or too lazy or weak eye sight or slow reading comprehension

Comparing dub to sub is like saying Subaru from Re:Zero is smarter than Lelouch, Light, Sora, Shiro, Shikamaru and any other with above average IQ etc combined

I really hope you're joking.

Sep 3, 2017 9:58 AM

Jun 2015
Funimation still makes top-notch dubs. No surprises here.
Sep 3, 2017 10:28 AM

May 2017
Kittens-kun said:
World_Creator said:

People who likes dub just can't read or too lazy or weak eye sight or slow reading comprehension

Comparing dub to sub is like saying Subaru from Re:Zero is smarter than Lelouch, Light, Sora, Shiro, Shikamaru and any other with above average IQ etc combined

I hope you're not butthurt
Sep 3, 2017 12:31 PM
Jul 2015
Lol, I don't know what's with the hate on either but maybe we could either learn to acknowledge both mediums or at the very least respect each others preference. =)

I'm watching this show both in sub and dub form (currently on Episode 2).

Here are my personal opinions

Original Japanese audio
-I love Hisako Kanemoto for quite a while. She can voice anywhere from low voice (Bleach) to high and cutesy (Kotoura-san) and sometimes both (like the two characters that she voiced for Tokyo Ravens)
-Also, this is my first time to hear Rumi Okubo personally. She does make Aguri-chan sound really cute :)

That said, I do want to comment about Megumi Han
-She is very talented for sure...............though imho, it's very rare to hear her do a cute voice (like in Oremonogatari - My Love Story). Otherwise, she mostly does low voice roles (e.g. Hunter X Hunter, Fafner Exodus, Twin Star Exorcists).

So yeah, her voicing a dude is another low-voice thing that for me is somewhat okay but imho, I would've preferred a guy to voice this role (which is a point where the English dub shines at). Just personal preference I guess.

English audio
-Main dude is a voiced by a dude (obviously)
-Tia Ballard doing a great job voicing Aguri-chan and she is really matching with her Japanese counterpart. Thumbs up on that :)

But imho, the most important point here for me:
-Brittney Karbowski as Karen Tendo :)
I have been aware of her for years now since when voiced Ikaros in Heaven's Lost Property (Sora No Otoshimono) and her voice has been something that I look out for. However, the pinnacle moment for me was her role as Yuri in Angel Beats.

For me, what she did for Angel Beats really put her as one of the top English VAs on my list. Her voice as Yuri in that show was simply beyond what I expected.

So there. Just my two cents :)

P.S.
Btw, I know this may be subjective but I think it's wrong to say that all dubs suck.

In fact, there are some English dubs that match with their Japanese counterparts (e.g. Full Metal Alchemist, Angel Beats, Samurai Champloo, Alice and Zoroku) and even those that are better than the Japanese original voice (e.g. FLCL, Excel Saga, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon.....and even Space Dandy)

In other words, there is no right or wrong approach and let's not generalize everything.

Peace :)
Sep 3, 2017 2:37 PM

May 2015
TsundeReaper said:
Kittens-kun said:

I hope you're not butthurt

Try using that word correctly next time.

Sep 3, 2017 3:33 PM

Jan 2017
lol at the comments from the weebs here
>ear raper dubs
>SUB IS BETTAH!
>dubs are for people who can't read
> awful translations blah blah blah
yawn these comments are getting old lol.
Sep 11, 2017 3:26 PM

Sep 2011
Kittens-kun said:
World_Creator said:

Some people really believe this. They don't seem to realize that there are actually some bad Japanese voice actors. Things that tend to annoy me with Japanese audio include 1. Overly shrill female voices 2. Overacting 3. SO MUCH SHOUTING!! at times!

Still, usually I prefer the Japanese audio, especially for shows set in Japan. I find that shows not set in Japan suit dub more. For instance the dub of Black Lagoon is pure AWESOME. Can't get enough of Revi's voice!
Sep 11, 2017 5:53 PM
Nov 2012
Honestly found the dub voices a bit annoying (tbf, the writing for the mc isn't amazing either). Especially Amano's argh. Can't get over Tendo being Chidori. Do like Best bud.
Sep 13, 2017 9:22 AM
Feb 2009
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
>ear raper dubs
>SUB IS BETTAH!

well, they can think of new stuff but why bother when they nailed it
Sep 13, 2017 9:45 AM

Jan 2017
Bozzzz said:
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
>ear raper dubs
>SUB IS BETTAH!

Sorry but they didn't nail anything. Most of these comments don't apply to the majority of modern dubs.
Sep 13, 2017 10:33 AM
Feb 2009
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
Bozzzz said:

Sorry but they didn't nail anything. Most of these comments don't apply to the majority of modern dubs.

you're right. Even Funimations dubs are watchable now I checked out some shows and they were OK. Still some innacuracies and missing the point but that can happen in bad subs too.
Allthough dubs (as they are meant for US) tend to overlocalize and miss the point sometimes. But it's getting better with that too.
But Gamers dub is funny. I actually like watching some comedies (like Prison School and Shimonetta) in both sub and dub. Becaue the puns are different in dubs, I can laugh twice.
Sep 13, 2017 10:46 AM

Jan 2017
Bozzzz said:
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:

you're right. Even Funimations dubs are watchable now I checked out some shows and they were OK. Still some innacuracies and missing the point but that can happen in bad subs too.
Allthough dubs (as they are meant for US) tend to overlocalize and miss the point sometimes. But it's getting better with that too.
But Gamers dub is funny. I actually like watching some comedies (like Prison School and Shimonetta) in both sub and dub. Becaue the puns are different in dubs, I can laugh twice.

Funimation and aniplex don't "over localize" at all. They only localize some jokes in comedy dubs because the Japanese jokes will sound awkward in English.
BTW their dubs for popular shows like FMA, space dandy, steins gate, psycho pass, death parade, baccano, hellsing ultimate, panty and stocking, the devil is a part timer, kill la oil (aniplex) and fate zero (aniplex) are really well done.
Cyber_IcarusSep 13, 2017 10:49 AM
Sep 14, 2017 2:24 PM
Jun 2015
So this thread went from an honest opinion thread to a "You're wrong!" thread? What the fuck is wrong with some of you people?
Sep 19, 2017 11:44 AM

Dec 2012
NO no no no no no no no.

Sep 20, 2017 3:29 PM

Jun 2014
Dub is always trash actually.
Sep 20, 2017 3:50 PM

Jan 2017
Benio_ said:

that is not true actually.
Sep 20, 2017 4:52 PM

May 2015
Benio_ said:

"always" is obviously a stretch. I mean, almost every Funimation Dub is at least decent.

May 18, 2018 1:49 AM

Jun 2016
I think if any character is better in the dub, it would have to be Karen Tendou, She's voiced by Brittney Karbowski, and while none of her roles stand out to me, thinking back to all her roles combined, I think her skills are actually quite impressive.

It's been a long time since I watched Gamers, but I'm confident enough in Brittney Karbowski's skill to say confidently that she is better in the dub.
May 20, 2018 5:28 PM
Mar 2018
The dub was very good, except for Amano. He was sometimes a bit too shrill and almost sounded like that dub guy from Masamune-kuns Revenge.
Feb 12, 2019 4:48 PM

May 2018
The dub is f**king hilarious - the guy who voices Amano with his voice breaking into high pitch does a great job at conveying the awkwardness of adolescence! I'm a big fan of Brittney Karbowski (Nanachi, Rinmaru) too. I've just finished episode 4 and I'm REALLY enjoying it so far :D
May 24, 2020 12:52 PM
May 2019
Dub is always better than sub no matter what anime it is, lol
May 24, 2020 1:05 PM
May 2019
Benio_ said:

Actually subs are trash. Dub is the only way to go. It's the only true way to watch anime and everyone knows that. What planet you from? Lol
Jul 20, 2020 11:12 PM

Feb 2019
Yui_Suzumiya69 said:
Benio_ said:

Actually subs are trash. Dub is the only way to go. It's the only true way to watch anime and everyone knows that. What planet you from? Lol

I hope you're joking 😂😂😂
most of the anime fans watch anime in sub
Lol
Dub is trash
Who is "everyone"
Jul 22, 2020 2:50 PM

Jan 2020
English dub better than the original? wtf, are you actually serious?

Aug 30, 2020 1:59 AM
May 2019
I'm here to watch, not friggin read. That's the norm. Go buy a book or get the manga if you want to read, lol. Again, dubs are the norm.
Jan 21, 2021 7:08 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
aSuperiorGamer said:
Elegade said:
Is Amano in the dubbed voiced by an actual dude, cause that's the only reason why I dropped Gamers. If so, this might be the first time ever since I've watched anime that I'd rather prefer the dub.

Yeah he actually sounds like a nerdy guy instead of girl in the dub.

Damm, now I want to try it as well, this MC is the most annoying one I have ever seen.
Based solely on his voice, from the start, very annoying, whoever picked this girl for him was drunk.

It maybe a good voice for Gon from HxH, but this MC is not a small kid...
Jul 3, 2021 2:54 PM

Nov 2020
haven't watched the sub, but the dub feels like an abridged series and a base series spliced together

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gamers! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2017

274 by kingin92 »»
Aug 21, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Gamers! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2017

321 by SuperSonic486 »»
Jun 4, 1:34 PM

Poll: » [Poll] Gamers Romance

Lnlover - Aug 30, 2017

30 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Apr 13, 8:19 PM

» Misunderstandings

Shomix - Sep 29, 2017

13 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Apr 13, 8:18 PM

Poll: » [the usual] BEST GIRL POLL

GangsterCat - Sep 7, 2017

13 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Apr 13, 8:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.