Forum Settings
Forums

Huh, well that show was pleasantly surprising

New
Sep 15, 2016 7:20 AM

Feb 2016
After a tentative recommendation from a friend, I started watching Cross Ange. Now this is normally not my kind of show whatsoever. I'm not really a fan of mecha (Sidonia is the exception because I adore the physics) and even less so fan-service (honestly I'm the last person on the planet to appeal to amorous tendencies).

And yet I marathoned this show in a few days. It just sunk it's claws into me. Yes it certainly has it's flaws, but there was something oddly compelling about it. I enjoyed the story, the lead had a solid character growth arc, the entire cast was interesting in fact, the music was great (went out and collected a couple of the songs to add to my playlist). And finally a solid ending, tied everything together nicely (I'm tiring of poor endings, I'm looking at you Venus versus Virus!!!)

Knowing said troll-friend (he's very good a winding me up when it comes to anime), this was his attempt to get me to broaden my horizons, which he certainly succeeded at. With this in mind I'm going to try diving into some of the anime on my pile of shame which I ranked lower due to their themes not normally aligning with my tastes. I've risen to the challenge, time to see if I'm all talk or not.

With that essay out the way, I was wondering what anime you've watched that honestly surprised you? The sort that you went in with low expectations or a lack of enthusiasm and left feeling all the better for watching it.

PJ
"God doesn't play dice"
-Albert Einstein

"Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded"
-Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang
Alpha Centauri
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 17, 2016 12:00 AM

Feb 2016
I went in with really low expectations of the 4min show saiki. It turned out really good surprisingly and i really enjoy how theres 5 episodes a week. Also the humour and just how he is a dick to everyone appeals to me. Defs reccomend it for everyone
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» best anime's this spring 2017

Jessica1350 - May 16, 2017

5 by Siffudoodle »»
May 29, 2017 11:10 AM

» Most anticipated anime of Winter 2016/17

Senseii95 - Dec 11, 2016

1 by Jessica1350 »»
Jan 15, 2017 7:59 PM

» PAniC Fundraiser Quiz Night

Senseii95 - Sep 22, 2016

0 by Senseii95 »»
Sep 22, 2016 8:32 PM

» This season's best character

Senseii95 - Aug 1, 2016

11 by PJammaGod »»
Sep 15, 2016 7:11 AM

» Abridged Anime

SillyFawn - Aug 25, 2016

15 by fleurescent »»
Sep 6, 2016 6:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.