Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 18, 9:35 PM
Apr 2023
So in an interesting news today that i found the movie was cancelled without any reason https://myanimelist.net/news/70900975?onetime=0873cf36cb291f49c3cdcb5b757c8ef0a12f6336710cf811d422ea5f1e85063f
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 18, 9:57 PM

Aug 2013
The CEO said this last year, so I’m pretty sure they had a reason. They care more about money 🙃

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2023-07-18/yuri-on-ice-made-its-studio-very-little-money-according-to-mappa-ceo/.200418
Apr 18, 10:04 PM
Sep 2023
DAY RUINED WTF... like yeah,at this point we were all expecting it since it's been so long but its still sad to hear it officially.
Apr 18, 10:17 PM

Nov 2015
10 count gets cancelled
Now this gets cancelled..
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Apr 18, 10:18 PM
Jan 2021
Going to die now omg
Apr 18, 10:35 PM

Jun 2014
Not surprised, we've gotten literally no updates in years.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 18, 11:18 PM
Jun 2020
I'M SO STRESSED 🤬
Apr 18, 11:24 PM
May 2020
Japanese companies always say “due to certain circumstances.” Wish we had more detail.

If an American company cancelled a film like this we’d probably have 200 tweet threads from a bunch of people already.

Sad day, even though we all saw it coming.
Apr 18, 11:48 PM
Jan 2021
In all my years of watching anime, I’ve never felt the way I feel right now finding this out. Yuri on ice was a show I bonded over with so many people, and had been waiting for the continuation of with said people for the past 7 years. Maybe I should’ve seen it coming, either way, I’m crushed.
HalfieCafeApr 18, 11:52 PM
Apr 19, 1:19 AM
Jun 2021
so you telling me Japan can produce garbage isakei without any problem even mid 2nd seasons but they going to cancel a popular anime that may bring them money if they hype it enough mappa is becoming really griddy mf like I don't get it doesn't girls like these type of bl why cancel one of their og animes for new anime that no one asked for ( especially their workers )
Apr 19, 2:18 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to onespankman
Japanese companies always say “due to certain circumstances.” Wish we had more detail.

If an American company cancelled a film like this we’d probably have 200 tweet threads from a bunch of people already.

@onespankman Yeah, i don't think bullying studios on the internet is the way to get what you want.
Apr 19, 2:32 AM
Feb 2021
Whaaaat😭😭 i’m so obsesses with this anime i watch it every year at christmas. Fron December 24 to 26 every day 4 episodes in the early morning. WHYYYY😭😭 i am dissappointed.
Apr 19, 7:00 AM
Oct 2020
Dang, I was really looking forward to it. Super sad and disappointing
Apr 19, 7:54 AM

Feb 2021
Very sad. I hope that it will be done anyway in future! It has to be!!
Apr 19, 8:09 AM

Mar 2016
it's been years since the announcement and last year the movie was removed from the coming soon in mappa's official site, so it was kinda predictable that the movie will be cancelled

it's still sad news cause I was hyped for this (⁠╥⁠﹏⁠╥⁠)
Apr 19, 8:28 AM

Aug 2018
The movie got cancelled? I thought it had already come out or something.
Apr 19, 8:35 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Rhae
The movie got cancelled? I thought it had already come out or something.
@Rhaelynne, sadly not. Let's hope that the movie will be released in future, maybe by another studio.
Apr 19, 8:59 AM
Aug 2021
I don’t know if it’s even possible because yoi is a mappa original but I wish they would at least sell the rights to another studio that would be willing to make the movie. Even Suwabe posted on twitter saying that he’s upset it’s been cancelled and is gonna rewatch the show now lol
Apr 19, 10:19 AM
Mar 2024
not surprised smh i saw it coming
Apr 19, 10:26 AM
May 2020
Reply to Swagernator
@onespankman Yeah, i don't think bullying studios on the internet is the way to get what you want.
@Swagernator Not what I meant. Just saying I wish we had more detail on why the production didn't pan out. "Due to circumstances" is usually all the information we get unfortunately.
Apr 19, 10:59 AM
Aug 2023
Nahhhh mate, I loved the series! Kinda sad rn :(
Apr 19, 11:35 AM

May 2020
Una parte de mi ha muerto

Apr 19, 12:15 PM
Jan 2021
So sad...but we could expect it 🥲
Apr 19, 1:46 PM
Feb 2013
This is a very sad news indeed
Apr 19, 3:13 PM
Jan 2022
I'm so sad, I waited so long for this movie
Apr 19, 6:17 PM
Oct 2020
I never even watched the original tv series and seeing this news makes me furious and sad beyond belief. My first reaction was just shock since I've always heard about Yuri on Ice over the years then only to see a movie for it to get canceled after being in production for so many years. This honestly scares me. The fact that major productions of popular anime people enjoy could be just canceled after so many years. I see why many are deciding to leave MAPPA now, not just the working conditions but it's rotten perhaps to the very core. Now I'm worried about future productions by MAPPA such as JJK or Vinland Saga etc. I know for example JJK is extremely popular so it's unlikely to be canceled even if the conditions are horrible but to think some things even if popular could be canceled because MAPPA decides it doesn't bring them enough money. For example, the upcoming CSM movie. What if after seeing the disappointing sales of the anime they just give up on the Movie or something?

Is it possible for another studio to pick up the movie?
Apr 19, 7:34 PM
Apr 2022
não é uma surpresa, mas ainda assim dói ;(
Apr 19, 8:24 PM
Aug 2022
Memore said:
@Rhaelynne, sadly not. Let's hope that the movie will be released in future, maybe by another studio.

not possible because it's a original anime and rights belong to MAPPA
Apr 19, 8:33 PM

Apr 2015
Damn this sucks. I'm not the biggest fan of the show, but I was still very much looking forward to seeing the characters performing on a new stage and reminiscing of the time when YOI first aired. It was crazy popular and the weekly discussions were so fun. YOI was the anime that first made MAPPA such an acclaimed studio, how did something like this happen to YOI of all anime...

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Apr 19, 10:07 PM
Oct 2013
KANCHANPREETKAUR said:
so you telling me Japan can produce garbage isakei without any problem even mid 2nd seasons but they going to cancel a popular anime that may bring them money if they hype it enough mappa is becoming really griddy mf like I don't get it doesn't girls like these type of bl why cancel one of their og animes for new anime that no one asked for ( especially their workers )

what a great point you made... I'm sick and tired of isekais and I'm not watching new animes for that reason .. can't believe they won't give this show a sequel...
Apr 19, 10:28 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to demonaman293
Memore said:

@demonaman293, they can sell it anytime to another studio, no problems.
Apr 19, 10:54 PM
Jun 2013
Reply to KANCHANPREETKAUR
@KANCHANPREETKAUR This type of comments are always so dumb, the anime industry isnt lead by a entity that decides what gets or not greenlighted, X or Y Isekai series getting produced or not has 0 relevance to Yuri on Ice cancelation, if you want to point fingers do it to the movie production committee, they're the ones who decides things.
Apr 20, 3:31 AM

Sep 2022
Reply to KANCHANPREETKAUR
@KANCHANPREETKAUR Tell me you know nothing about anime production without telling me you know nothing about anime production. Good does not necessarily mean popular, and popular does not necessarily mean good. This goes even doubly for all you naive Westerners who think that your inputs on what anime should be made matters to the Japanese. Most of you aren't paying customers. You aren't the ones buying BD or merch, and if you think your subscription to Crunchyroll or other anime streaming service matters, then you are wrong, as barely any of that even goes to the studios making these animes.
Gremlin Eris be like:
Apr 20, 3:52 AM
Jun 2021
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:
@KANCHANPREETKAUR This type of comments are always so dumb, the anime industry isnt lead by a entity that decides what gets or not greenlighted, X or Y Isekai series getting produced or not has 0 relevance to Yuri on Ice cancelation, if you want to point fingers do it to the movie production committee, they're the ones who decides things.

yeah I know sorry I was so angry about the cancellation but seriously why mappa cancelled their one of the og anime like straight up cancel this is the first time I heard a popular anime getting cancelled without any controversy
Apr 20, 3:59 AM
Aug 2021
Nothing to be surprised here

Move on people, everyone knew this would happen sooner or later
Apr 20, 8:17 AM
Dec 2022
yoi put mappa on the map
Apr 20, 9:59 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to demonaman293
Memore said:

@demonaman293 Original anime doesn't always mean the rights belong to the studio. Originals still operate under the committee system, whoever invests the most into it has the most control. Yuri on Ice's lead producer is Avex.
Apr 20, 10:11 AM
Aug 2022
Oongbuh said:
@demonaman293 Original anime doesn't always mean the rights belong to the studio. Originals still operate under the committee system, whoever invests the most into it has the most control. Yuri on Ice's lead producer is Avex.

naruhodo!!!!!! sokka sokka
Apr 20, 3:50 PM
Jan 2019
They never bring back the good ones…cuts deep.
Apr 20, 3:54 PM
Jan 2019
KANCHANPREETKAUR said:

THIS !!

YOU GET IT.
Apr 20, 5:17 PM
Dec 2023
Funa a MAPPA \(>:'V)/
Apr 20, 6:31 PM
Feb 2022
They have no respect for the fans at all
Apr 21, 12:52 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to MK17_2
KANCHANPREETKAUR said:

THIS !!

YOU GET IT.
@MK17_2 Bro can't even spell Isekai.
Apr 21, 3:47 AM
Mar 2023
Mappa fumbled this so hard what a shame.
Apr 21, 9:28 AM
Jun 2021
onespankman said:

A couple weeks ago (maybe months) it came out that Yuri didn't make them much money.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2023-07-18/yuri-on-ice-made-its-studio-very-little-money-according-to-mappa-ceo/.200418

I hope Studio DEEN picks it up. They don't seem to have issues marketing BL.
Apr 21, 10:22 AM
Nov 2019
Mappa refuses to acnowledge they became who they are now because of YOI. They hate for people to remember their global success is due to a story of two men on a journey of love, and the cancellation of the movie, something we have waited for almost a DECADE is raw proof of it.
Apr 21, 10:39 AM
May 2020
DarkEliteEric said:
onespankman said:

A couple weeks ago (maybe months) it came out that Yuri didn't make them much money.

If I’m reading this correctly, they’re saying it did make a ton of money, but not much of that ended up with the studio. That’s pretty typical of anime productions, even a big hit show won’t make that much for the studio, since everyone on the production committee gets a cut.

What they’re talking about there is how the revenue is split up, not how much the production made. Maybe the situation would have been the same with Ice Adolescence, but we don’t know that.

I believe MAPPA made Chainsaw Man without a production committee, that’s the model they want to pursue in the future I guess.
Apr 21, 10:42 AM
Jun 2021
onespankman said:
DarkEliteEric said:

If I’m reading this correctly, they’re saying it did make a ton of money, but not much of that ended up with the studio. That’s pretty typical of anime productions, even a big hit show won’t make that much for the studio, since everyone on the production committee gets a cut.

What they’re talking about there is how the revenue is split up, not how much the production made. Maybe the situation would have been the same with Ice Adolescence, but we don’t know that.

I believe MAPPA made Chainsaw Man without a production committee, that’s the model they want to pursue in the future I guess.

Oh I see. The business portion is a necessary evil to fund art but on the back side and sometimes screws up the people that are doing the work. I hope that new model works out for them in the future and others follow.
Apr 21, 11:54 AM
Jan 2022
Woow I simply just cannot believe this lol
Apr 22, 3:37 AM
Sep 2023
TvT I understand it a little for cancelling cause yk it happens BUT WHY NOT SOONER? WHY DIDN'T THE CANCEL SOONER?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Mappa's insane missed oppurtunity...

jotasui - Aug 10, 2023

17 by Niko_himari »»
May 1, 11:40 AM

» A petition was made to save the movie

Old_School_Akira - Apr 23

13 by LukesYGO_WSonYT »»
Apr 29, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

474 by yourlocalworm »»
Apr 19, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2016

205 by ZolaZodiac »»
Mar 20, 5:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2016

235 by Musical_grl »»
Mar 16, 3:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.