Forum Settings
Forums

'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

New
Apr 18, 8:54 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The official website of the Yuri!!! on Ice anime series announced on Friday that the Ice Adolescence movie has been canceled due to various circumstances. The movie was originally announced in April 2017.

Yuri!!! on Ice is an original anime series created by Mitsurou Kubo and Sayo Yamamoto at MAPPA, which aired in Fall 2016. Crunchyroll streamed the anime with both subtitles and dubs.

Funimation released the anime in standard and limited edition Blu-ray & DVD combo in February 2018. The set included the short anime featuring an exhibition routine performed by Yuri Plisetsky, which was also included in the sixth Japanese DVD and Blu-ray volume.

Yuri!!! on Ice won Best TV Anime at the Newtype Awards and Animation of the Year at the Tokyo Anime Awards in 2017.

Source: Oricon News
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 18, 9:13 PM

Mar 2021
Aaahhhhhhhhhhhh, what a shame.

I've been looking forward to this, so the news of the production being cancelled is hard to take.

Apr 18, 9:13 PM

Oct 2016
It's unfortunate, especially considering how long people have been waiting for the movie.
I wasn't surprised when I first saw their announcement though. The trailer was released in November 2020, with no updates afterwards. The only "hope" was that the movie's Twitter account was still active. Still, it's been far too long since the trailer's release, so I already suspected that the project was dead. I honestly would've been more surprised about the movie's release date than this.
Apr 18, 9:18 PM

Sep 2017
no one has ever fumbled the bag as hard as Mappa. Kinda considering avoiding anything they produce from now on
Apr 18, 9:27 PM

Aug 2013
Reply to redvelvetdoll
no one has ever fumbled the bag as hard as Mappa. Kinda considering avoiding anything they produce from now on
@redvelvetdoll I feel the same way. They clearly care more about money than making fans happy, and even their own employees’ wellbeing. Why should we support them?
Apr 18, 9:49 PM
Jul 2017
Damn. I’m not a huge fan of the anime. I thought it was just alright. But this news sucks big time. Makes me scared for other future projects with little to no updates. Like Uzumaki 😭.
Apr 18, 9:58 PM

Nov 2015
Why are all the gay anime getting canceled?
1st Ten Count now this?
Homophobia is real.
Old_School_AkiraApr 18, 10:05 PM
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Apr 18, 10:32 PM

Apr 2012
It's hard to believe. In the last decade, this show was so hyped and ubiquitous that many were even furious, and now MAPPA first simply forgets about it, and then cancels the sequel altogether.
Apr 18, 10:37 PM

Oct 2017
I've seen like what two animes get cancelled so well done MAPPA.
Apr 18, 10:37 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Old_School_Akira
1st Ten Count now this?
Homophobia is real.
@Old_School_Akira You should not look for homophobia where there are cynical problems with financing/production or an overly jam-packed schedule and diverting attention to other directions. Not to mention, MAPPA is so memetic with its LGBTQ-friendly content that it's the last studio you could accuse of homophobia.

@imjayhime I won't argue about the terrible working conditions at the studio, but it's debatable to say that MAPPA doesn't care about the fans of their shows at all just because they didn't live up to the expectations of the fans of one of them. The problem is that Chainsaw and JJK are actual adaptations of actual manga with active fan bases, while Yuri, for all its praise and popularity, was an original show that they needed to maintain constant fans attention to. Which, for one reason or another, turned out to be too difficult for them.
RobertBobertApr 18, 10:45 PM
Apr 18, 10:39 PM

Sep 2018
I would guess the lack of merchandizing got to it. Odd the movie ever got announced if the whole plan was to cancel.
Apr 18, 10:43 PM

Jan 2009
Yuri on Ice!!! Made Its Studio Very Little Money, According to MAPPA's CEO https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2023-07-18/yuri-on-ice-made-its-studio-very-little-money-according-to-mappa-ceo/.200418

they gonna do more Vinland Saga instead as that is more profitable globally i bet

and the director and anime producer of Vinland Saga are promoted at MAPPA so it makes sense they gonna do more Vinland Saga https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/1bt0m6n/studio_mappa_announces_new_management_structure/
Apr 18, 10:45 PM

Nov 2007
so sad :( :( :( :( :(
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 18, 10:51 PM
May 2018
Reply to deg
Yuri on Ice!!! Made Its Studio Very Little Money, According to MAPPA's CEO https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2023-07-18/yuri-on-ice-made-its-studio-very-little-money-according-to-mappa-ceo/.200418

they gonna do more Vinland Saga instead as that is more profitable globally i bet

and the director and anime producer of Vinland Saga are promoted at MAPPA so it makes sense they gonna do more Vinland Saga https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/1bt0m6n/studio_mappa_announces_new_management_structure/
@deg Yes, I think MAPPA was rather desperate because the amount of money it was getting from Yuri was so small, and it is even possible that MAPPA's current management policy was rather due to the financial exploitation at Yuri.
Apr 18, 10:56 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to liatris4405
@deg Yes, I think MAPPA was rather desperate because the amount of money it was getting from Yuri was so small, and it is even possible that MAPPA's current management policy was rather due to the financial exploitation at Yuri.
@liatris4405 i heard that mappa is lowest rank in the production committee of yuri on ice so ye the lower your rank is the lower your profit is gonna be

meanwhile mappa is high ranking in the production committee of vinland saga so that is their future project i bet
Apr 18, 11:53 PM

Jul 2021
Soooo what happens now, in this type of situation? Who owns the IP? Is the IP likely just going to gather dust in a vault somewhere? Or could some other studio be recruited to work on a new project within the IP?
Apr 18, 11:55 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to perseii
Soooo what happens now, in this type of situation? Who owns the IP? Is the IP likely just going to gather dust in a vault somewhere? Or could some other studio be recruited to work on a new project within the IP?
@perseii the production committee owns the ip the high ranking companies can still form a new production committee without mappa then hire a new studio to continue the project if they want
Apr 18, 11:58 PM
Apr 2024
crappa cancels anime, because of various circumstances? Those circumstances are money and low income. How surprising. And yet they made slop like Bucchigiri and expected it to do better? Greedy corpo is synonym of this studio. Forget about passion projects coming from them.
18927Apr 19, 12:03 AM
Apr 19, 12:26 AM
Aug 2014
The less yaoi and yuri we have the better world becomes, this was a good day.
Apr 19, 12:30 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to deg
@perseii the production committee owns the ip the high ranking companies can still form a new production committee without mappa then hire a new studio to continue the project if they want
@deg I see. So it's possible that this has been outside of MAPPA's control, and the production committee simply lost faith in the project (and maybe the series) for whatever reason and pulled the plug.

Maybe the production ran into extreme difficulties and was bleeding money? Assuming they ever started working on it.

Or maybe it is MAPPA's fault like most people seem to think it is, delaying and stalling for 7 years because they didn't want to work on it. But this sounds like a really shady tactic to me...
Apr 19, 12:32 AM

Mar 2011
Reply to deg

@deg
deg said:

MAPPA don't have a choice to make another season for Vinland Saga, bcs all the mones comes from Kodansha and Twin Engine.
Recently Twin Engine created another animation studio, no wonder if they decide to make 3rd season for Vinland Saga and one of the studios under Twin Engine like Kafka can helm Vinland Saga.
Apr 19, 12:35 AM

Jan 2016
so sad...I can't coop
Apr 19, 12:36 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to perseii
@deg I see. So it's possible that this has been outside of MAPPA's control, and the production committee simply lost faith in the project (and maybe the series) for whatever reason and pulled the plug.

Maybe the production ran into extreme difficulties and was bleeding money? Assuming they ever started working on it.

Or maybe it is MAPPA's fault like most people seem to think it is, delaying and stalling for 7 years because they didn't want to work on it. But this sounds like a really shady tactic to me...
@perseii ye we can all guess at this point since they never elaborate why
Apr 19, 12:38 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Icebreaker93
@deg
deg said:

MAPPA don't have a choice to make another season for Vinland Saga, bcs all the mones comes from Kodansha and Twin Engine.
Recently Twin Engine created another animation studio, no wonder if they decide to make 3rd season for Vinland Saga and one of the studios under Twin Engine like Kafka can helm Vinland Saga.
@Icebreaker93 is twin engine part of the production committee of vinland saga season 2? i thought people are saying mappa is part of the production committee of vinland saga season 2 and higher ranking one considering this guy is also the animation producer of vinland for both seasons https://myanimelist.net/people/63619/Hiroya_Hasegawa
Apr 19, 1:13 AM

Oct 2013
Ehh, it's a really sad news. But at the same time, as someone who has tracked the info about this movie for years, I'm kinda relieved. At least there is no need to hope or cope anymore about the hypothetical news about the movie or its approximate release date. It was canceled, as simple as that.
Apr 19, 1:58 AM

Aug 2011
Reply to Icebreaker93
@deg
deg said:

@Icebreaker93 So you want Vinland Saga season 3 from new staff and director? What make Vinland Saga great because of Director and staff working on it. Shuhei Yabuta Vinland Saga director working full time at Mappa right now.
Apr 19, 2:19 AM

Sep 2020
As a Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw man and Vinland Saga fan I thank Yuri on ice for their sacrifice.
Apr 19, 2:36 AM

May 2021
If it is canceled why it still exists in your database ?

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Apr 19, 2:48 AM

Jun 2014
Not surprised especially after literally zero updates in who knows how long.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 19, 3:04 AM

Jun 2014
How does the anime industry manage to fuck up something this basic, so badly? Yuri On Ice was a gigantic hit show in 2016/2017 in Japan. It really doesn't make much sense how they let this franchise to rot this badly, Yuri on Ice deserved better smh. How disappointing.
:3
Apr 19, 3:27 AM

Aug 2021
1st Ten Count now this?
Homophobia is real.
@Old_School_Akira

Homophobia again? Did you forget that the studio is full of projects? They need to choose.

Apr 19, 3:56 AM
Sep 2020
Never been so sad to see an anime go.... damn
Apr 19, 4:03 AM

Mar 2014
Oh I thought it was already cancelled
Apr 19, 4:05 AM

May 2021
1st Ten Count now this?
Homophobia is real.
@Old_School_Akira HoMOpHoBiA Is rEaL.
Log off Twitter and go outside a little bit to see how businesses and real life work

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Apr 19, 4:53 AM

Jan 2020
Well, at least they're honest that they're cancelling the film. Unlike Uru in Blue, is that shit even being done?
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Apr 19, 5:00 AM
Nov 2020
I can already bet that the Zombieland Saga movie is next on the chopping block
Apr 19, 5:24 AM
Nov 2016
One of the most successful and Most popular anime of the last 2 decades that even boosted Mappa popularity and deserved both a movie and S2!

Guess it was cancelled because MAPPA was last in YOI production committee and therefore received a much lower percentage of revenues than Avex, Dentsu, etc.

For those who don't know, This is the production comittee order (higher position means more revenues):
1) Avex Pictures
2) TV Asahi
3) Dentsu
4) CIC
5) cygames
6) TV Asahi Music
7) Movic
8) MAPPA

Still, It's sad that the movie was cancelled :(

Old_School_Akira said:
1st Ten Count now this?
Homophobia is real.

In this case it's due to the fact that Mappa was last in the production comittee therefore they earned WAY less, despite the fact that the show was REALLY successful. I wouldn't call Mappa homophobic. But I agree, more BL anime. At least we have Tadaima Okaeri now and Twilight out of focus soon. Now if only someone would also animated My love mix up, Hirano to kagiura, I cannot reach you, I hear the sunspot, etc.

TheSekiryuutei said:

The less people like you in the world, the better this planet becomes XD
Apr 19, 5:34 AM
Mar 2022
puta madre At least they would have said it before, so as not to wait like an idiot 😭
Apr 19, 5:55 AM
Apr 2022
1st Ten Count now this?
Homophobia is real.
@Old_School_Akira isn't there's already gay anime aired??
Apr 19, 6:15 AM
Mar 2016
Reply to deg
@Icebreaker93 is twin engine part of the production committee of vinland saga season 2? i thought people are saying mappa is part of the production committee of vinland saga season 2 and higher ranking one considering this guy is also the animation producer of vinland for both seasons https://myanimelist.net/people/63619/Hiroya_Hasegawa
@deg The production committee of Vinland Saga S2 consisted of Twin Engine (Koji Yamamoto's production company), Kodansha (publisher of the manga) and Dentsu (an advertisement company). MAPPA wasn't part of the committee at all.
Apr 19, 6:23 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to gyeben
@deg The production committee of Vinland Saga S2 consisted of Twin Engine (Koji Yamamoto's production company), Kodansha (publisher of the manga) and Dentsu (an advertisement company). MAPPA wasn't part of the committee at all.
@gyeben ok then i stand corrected and maybe vinland saga will have a new studio too then
Apr 19, 6:32 AM
Jan 2022
I think we all knew it was coming, but I'm still a bit devastated. I was truly looking forward to this despite knowing it was probably never going to happen. At least there's closure now, but I still felt like shit after reading the news on Twitter this morning.
Apr 19, 6:58 AM

Mar 2011
Reply to CrazyFrogz
@Icebreaker93 So you want Vinland Saga season 3 from new staff and director? What make Vinland Saga great because of Director and staff working on it. Shuhei Yabuta Vinland Saga director working full time at Mappa right now.
@CrazyFrogz
I prefer Vinland going back to WIT's hands than MAPPA.
Season 2 of Vinland was a passion project, hardly MAPPA will want to do a sequel, lately they are focusing on their cash cows and original projects, bcs original IP brings more money to the studio than manga adaptations.
Apr 19, 7:04 AM

Jan 2016
Oh my God, I forgot all about this film lol. It's weird how MAPPA has the time and budget to make random anime like Listeners and Bucchigiri, but a Yuri on Ice film is a no go.

"Get your tentacles off me or ill make calamari out of your manhood" -Mirai Nikki Dub
Apr 19, 7:32 AM

Dec 2012
Lmaoooooooooooooo

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Apr 19, 7:53 AM

Feb 2021
Very sad news indeed. I plan to watch Yuri!!! on Ice later. MAPPA SHOULD MAKE THIS MOVIE instead of other not so their significant projects.

I still hope that the movie will be done in future.
Apr 19, 8:09 AM

Jan 2017
Disappointed, but not surprised. We'll probably never know why, although there are lots of hinted at reasons (Sayo Yamamoto's vision for the film clashing with Mappa and the production committee, fear of taking on a high profile mainstream project with sex-positive gay themes, etc.). Hopefully the project can be sold to another studio, but I'm not holding my breath.
オタク? 私はそのことが私がかわいいと思う!
Apr 19, 8:22 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to dodoxdo97
One of the most successful and Most popular anime of the last 2 decades that even boosted Mappa popularity and deserved both a movie and S2!

Guess it was cancelled because MAPPA was last in YOI production committee and therefore received a much lower percentage of revenues than Avex, Dentsu, etc.

For those who don't know, This is the production comittee order (higher position means more revenues):
1) Avex Pictures
2) TV Asahi
3) Dentsu
4) CIC
5) cygames
6) TV Asahi Music
7) Movic
8) MAPPA

Old_School_Akira said:
1st Ten Count now this?
Homophobia is real.

In this case it's due to the fact that Mappa was last in the production comittee therefore they earned WAY less, despite the fact that the show was REALLY successful. I wouldn't call Mappa homophobic. But I agree, more BL anime. At least we have Tadaima Okaeri now and Twilight out of focus soon. Now if only someone would also animated My love mix up, Hirano to kagiura, I cannot reach you, I hear the sunspot, etc.

TheSekiryuutei said:

The less people like you in the world, the better this planet becomes XD
dodoxdo97 said:

1) Avex Pictures
2) TV Asahi
3) Dentsu
4) CIC
5) cygames
6) TV Asahi Music
7) Movic
8) MAPPA

How can a company so far down the list cancel the movie without making enemies of Avex and TV Asahi? Do the companies that made the most money not hold the most power?

dodoxdo97 said:
At least we have Tadaima Okaeri now and Twilight out of focus soon. Now if only someone would also animated My love mix up, Hirano to kagiura, I cannot reach you, I hear the sunspot, etc.

I doubt any of those are as good as Yuri On Ice. I will accept more Kono Danshi if the other Yamamoto is willing and able.
その目だれの目?
Apr 19, 8:34 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
dodoxdo97 said:

1) Avex Pictures
2) TV Asahi
3) Dentsu
4) CIC
5) cygames
6) TV Asahi Music
7) Movic
8) MAPPA

How can a company so far down the list cancel the movie without making enemies of Avex and TV Asahi? Do the companies that made the most money not hold the most power?

dodoxdo97 said:
At least we have Tadaima Okaeri now and Twilight out of focus soon. Now if only someone would also animated My love mix up, Hirano to kagiura, I cannot reach you, I hear the sunspot, etc.

I doubt any of those are as good as Yuri On Ice. I will accept more Kono Danshi if the other Yamamoto is willing and able.
@Lucifrost, indeed, Tadaima and Twilight are not as good as Yuri. Let's hope that the movie will be RELEASED in future, maybe by another studio, it doesn't matter to me.
Apr 19, 8:46 AM

Mar 2019
I already suspected that this would happen, 7 years after the announcement and nothing came out, something was wrong with this, it's a shame but happens.⛸️
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Trailer

DatRandomDude - May 1

7 by Rhae »»
1 hour ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

22 by Kaikaidou »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ikoku Nikki' Receives TV Anime

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

14 by Memore »»
5 hours ago

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 30

17 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for July

Aiimee - Jul 6, 2022

7 by miipsy »»
Yesterday, 3:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.